Friday, February 8, 2013

Off to a Good Start

When I group together all the images that inspire me, I realize that I like, nay, love, a lot of different styles. But just because I love and enjoy different styles doesn't mean they are the styles that are ME, or the styles that I want in our home.

So, through the process of elimination and inclusion, I've decided a few things:

1. Color

This baby's gotta have color. Caitlin of Sacramento Street has this absolutely brilliant neutral dining room and I love it! But it doesn't have enough color, for me. Aren't those chairs just darling though?

Sacramento street thonet chair neutral
                                                  via



I'm not saying I want the cracked out on color look, like this:

13 Bright and Colorful Dining Room Design Ideas ~ DesignDaily
                                               via
Something more like this, where the neutrals and colors play nice together.

tolix chairs bright colors modern bohemian
                                                           via

Dining room chairs in a happy bright color are a must!


2. "Non-Boring Chairs"

When Alex asks what kind of dining room chairs I want, I say "non-boring ones." Meaning, the kind that don't match with the table, that didn't come in a set. Chairs that have enough personality to hold their own.


Meg Galligan Home Tour, pink flowers, faux bamboo chairs, dining room, painting
                                                                   via

I am more than a little obsessed with faux bamboo chairs. I got two armchairs for Christmas (I'm a lucky girl!) And because they can hold their own in the living room, or next to a desk, or doubled as a nightstand, I'm having a hard time knowing just where to put them! For good measure, I'm including one more example of how awesome faux bamboo chairs look around a table....

Be still my heart. They are also a bright peppy color. Just saying.

faux bamboo chairs, faux bamboo, parsons table, library, books, dining
                                                         via Lonny

Faux-bamboo chairs may not be the right answer for my dining room, but they sure are pretty, aren't they?!

3. Livability

This chic dining room is simply divine. Whites and colors in perfect harmony, layers of textures and beautiful shapes that make me feel giddy.

upholstered chairs, capiz chandelier, lamps, dining, chic, feminine
                                       via

And then, cue pyscho music.


Now, everything that's all over him, is all over those precious white chairs.

Although we don't have children now, we hope to in the near future, and we have friends and family with children. I want a home that they feel comfortable being in, not one they are scared to enter. One day when we do have a formal dining room, expect to see some beautiful white upholstered chairs that Momma locks up until her dinner parties!

For now, with our dining room being more of a breakfast nook, right off the kitchen, getting daily use, we need chairs that can take abuse and be wiped down. 

Color, non-boring <colorful> chairs, and livability. That's a good start for the making of our future breakfast nook/ dining room!

I hope your weekend is fabulous! Please join me next week for more dining room awesomeness!























No comments:

Post a Comment