Thursday, February 7, 2013


Judy Garland

Anyone catch Modern Family last night? Aside from it being one of the funniest shows I've ever seen,  I love that there's always a few tender moments that make you stop and think.

I know a clip would be better than trying to explain it, but I couldn't find any from last night's episode just yet, so bear with me (or go watch the episode and then read this!) ***Spoiler alert, in this episode, despite Phil's love of jumping on trampolines, he decides he wants to improve his golf game, in the hopes he can close more real estate deals. He gets some tough love coaching from Jay that helps his golf swing! The part I loved was at the end of the episode when Phil decides to go with what he knows, and he gets on the trampoline with a client equally as skilled at the art of jumping as he is. They bond over a shared love, as nerdy as it may be, and the client signs the contract.

While this moment was hysterical, it was also such a great example of how being  a "first rate version of yourself" is light years better than being "a second rate version of someone else." Phil isn't a snooty golfer, he's a goofy trampoline guy. By being himself, and sticking with what he knew and loved, he achieved success.

It made me wonder how many times in my life I've been a version of someone else, instead of the best version of me I can be. Our personalities and loves and passions are all different and that make us who we are as people, and that is so wonderful! That is one of my favorite aspects of the world of interior design. Although there are trends designers may loosely follow, every designer brings their own flair to a room. And you know what? It's the designers whose personalities are evident in a room, who let their "first rate self" shine through, that are successful. The designers who design rooms that scream "hey, it's me!" are absolutely amazing! Jamie Meares is a great example of that! I posted about her & her shop, Furbish, a couple weeks ago. Once you've seen a couple pictures of Jamie's work, you could pick a room she designed out of a thousand images. Let's not forget Jonathan Adler. That man has some incredible designs, and a lot of products that are not your run-of-the-mill everyone's style. But, he is doing what he love and is achieving great success.



I may not have a design firm or boutique (yet;), but our cozy little townhome is a great place to start showcasing my style, and my flair. The first room up is the dining room! Our downstairs is small. It's not New York studio small, but the living room, kitchen, dining room/breakfast nook, and half bath come in just under 450 sq. feet. Which means when you walk through our front door, you can see part of the kitchen and the dining room. For rooms with this much visibility they are in need of some serious color and personality!

Although I'm getting a late start on the month, for the rest of February I will be posting some of my favorite and most inspiring dining rooms, as well as the plans for our own little dining room! March will be filled with beautiful kitchens, pantry organization, and low-cost ways I plan to upgrade our own kitchen, just to name a few.

Check back tomorrow to see the dining rooms that most inspire me!

*Illustration by Molly Jacaques

No comments:

Post a Comment